Hokkaido in the summer is as beautiful as you imagine it to be. The grass is a brilliant green, colourful flowers are blooming, and the calm lakes are as blue as the sunny skies. There's a cheerful spirit everywhere with everyone out celebrating the sunny weather, from beer fests in Sapporo to garden barbecues in Niseko. There's no better time to go on a summer road trip in Hokkaido than during lavender season, which usually lasts from early July to early August.
When an opportunity presented itself for us to travel to Hokkaido during lavender season, Hubby and I quickly booked our flights, rented a car, applied for our International Driving License from AA, and abandoned the kids...... with their grandparents.
We spent 9 days and 8 nights in Hokkaido, and our itinerary was as follows:-
- Singapore, Taipei (layover), and Sapporo on 10 July [Accommodation: Hotel Nets Sapporo]
- Furano, Biei and Asahikawa on 11 July [Accommodation: Fujita Kanko Washington Hotel Asahikawa]
- Asahikawa, Furano and Noboribetsu on 12 July [Accommodation: Park Hotel Miyabitei]
- Noboribetsu on 13 July [Accommodation: Park Hotel Miyabitei]
- Lake Toya and Niseko on 14 July [Accommodation: Yama Shizen]
- Niseko on 15 July [Accommodation: Yama Shizen]
- Cape Kamui, Cape Shakotan, Otaru and Sapporo on 16 July [Accommodation: Smile Hotel Premium Sapporo Susukino]
- Sapporo and Chitose on 17 July [Accommodation: Best Western Plus Hotel Fino Chitose]
- Chitose, Tokyo for layover, Singapore on 18 July.
We used Tabirai Japan Car Rental to search for rental cars prices in Sapporo, and booked a compact Mazda Demio from Times Car Rental Susukino. For Y31,200.00, we got a compact Mazda Demio with insurance, collision damage waiver, English GPS and ETC device for 6 days. We picked it up at 0930 hrs on 11 July, and returned it at 0930 hrs on 17 July. No problems with the vehicle whatsoever. A comfortable ride for the 2 of us.